2 tablespoons olive oil
1 chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, sliced
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups kale
2 cups water
1 15-ounce can or approximately 1 cup fresh cannelini beans
¾ cup chicken stock
- Wash kale and strip the leaves off the stalks. Discard stalks and roughly chop kale.
- Bring the water to a boil in a 10-12 inch skillet that has a tight-fitting lid.
- Add the kale and cook, covered, over high heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Remove and drain, saving the cooking liquid to drink (for a really healthy, vitamin and mineral rich green cocktail known as “pot likker”).
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in large sauté pan. Add onion and garlic slices, sautéing until tender (about 3 minutes).
- Add red pepper flakes and salt and pepper, stirring until fragrant.
- Add the kale, beans and chicken stock, cover and let cook for 10 minutes.