A simple method for getting a little “exotic” flavor that’s subtle enough to be enjoyed by even the more traditional eaters in your household
1 cup dry roasted quinoa*
2/3 cup coconut milk
1 cup water
½ cup red pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon of sesame oil
Pinch of salt
- Rinse quinoa in fine mesh strainer. Bring water & coconut milk to a boil. Add quinoa, garlic, salt & chili flakes.
- Bring back to boil & reduce heat. Cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in red pepper, sesame oil, and salt.
- Let stand for 5 minutes then serve.
* Dry-roasting brings out the sweetness in grains and can be done by placing them in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring until nutty aroma and very slight browning occurs (watch carefully so as not to burn), then removing them from the heat. This process can be done ahead of time, dry-roasting the amount you have purchased when you have time and storing it for use when you have less time.