I know, I know… Feed your liver? Colleen are you nuts? Yes I am, but we’re talking about the liver right now. On to your 5 minute Nutrition Tidbit…
Your liver is your body’s filtration system. For anyone who’s ever owned a fish tank, you know you have to clean out the filter to make sure that it keeps working optimally. The same goes for your filter…or liver.
Things we do daily can damage our liver over time. It takes a lot of abuse throughout our lives. Alcohol, prescription medications, vitamins, supplements, bad dietary choices and recreational drugs to name a few daily rituals that can overwork it.
Staying up too late, frequently, can also take it’s toll as your body’s natural detoxification processes take place in your sleep, so once again, sleep plays a vital role in your overall health. So here’s our Nutrition Goal, #addinthegoodstuff, include one of these liver benefiting foods in your diet this week. Hell, include 3 and crush that goal!
- Dandelion - in a Tea or fresh dandelion in your smoothie or juice, you can even toss some in a salad.
- Other leafy green veggies such as arugula, spinach, mustard greens and chicory help to neutralize heavy metals in your body.
- Garlic helps to flush out toxins from the body.
- Grapefruit rich in Vitamin C and other beneficial antioxidants.
- Walnuts help to oxygenate the blood.
- Avocados are said to benefit in repairing liver damage
- The magic herb turmeric is said to boost the detoxification process, helping to flush out carcinogens.
- Other beneficial foods include, Apples, olive oil, lemons and limes, and cabbage.
The list above holds nothing strange, but all these foods have a lot in common, including being nutrient dense. So add in some good stuff! You’ll feel the benefits.